Cyanide ingestion
Abuzer Coskun 1, Fikret Ozkan 2, Sedat Ozbay 1, Osman Mahir Okur 1, Afsin Emre Kayipmaz 3, Behnan Gulunay 1, Sevki Hakan Eren 4, Asuman Ucar 1, Cemil Kavalci 1
More Detail
1 Numune Hospital, Department of Emergency, Sivas, Turkey
2 Numune Hospital, Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Intensive Care Unit, Sivas, Turkey
3 Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Emergency Department, Bahcelievler, Ankara, Turkey
4 Cumhuriyet University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Emergency, Sivas, Turkey

Abstract

Cyanide is one of the oldest poisons. It has recently been introduced into industrial use in the gold enrichment process in gold mines. A 36-year-old man engaged in silver polishing business was brought to our emergency department by his colleagues with impaired consciousness and foamy saliva expectoration after accidentally drinking a sip of water mixed cyanide used for silver polishing. His general status was poor, and he was unconscious upon admission. The patient was administered the antidote three hours after his admission and extubated 11 hours after admission. His vital signs gradually returned to normal. On follow-up his urine color turned red; therefore, a second consultation was made with the poison information center, which recommended administering a second dose of antidote. After doing so, the patient gradually recovered, and he was discharged with normal liver enzymes, normal consciousness, and good overall status on 4th day of admission.

License

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Article Type: Case Report

https://doi.org/10.29333/ejgm/81742

EUR J GEN MED, 2017 - Volume 14 Issue 4, pp. 111-113

Publication date: 12 Dec 2017

Article Views: 863

Article Downloads: 1378

Open Access References How to cite this article